For prospective students

General questions

I am interested in applying to the Urban Engineering Masters (or Doctoral) Program. Which application process would be most suitable for me?

Although you can apply through regular admissions (same as Japanese applicants) we recommend international students to apply via international admissions, if you meet the application criteria.

If you are applying to an embassy-recommendation MEXT scholarship and have already passed the first screening, please visit this page and follow the instructions.

I would like to know about the curriculum and syllabus of the courses

Please refer to the UTokyo Online Course Catalogue. For more information on classes, you can also refer to this guidance information page.

Questions regarding the Special English Graduate Program (Graduate Program for International Students in Urban and Environmental Studies (UBE-UPN/ENV))

What documents do I need to submit if I want to apply for scholarships offered by the Department of Urban Engineering?

Those who are selected for scholarships recommended by the department will be notified during the course of the selection process. No additional application for financial aid consideration will be required at the time of application.

To apply for the ADB/JSP Program, download and submit “ADB_UBE_Form” on T-cens.

I’d like to apply for the Special Graduate Program of Urban Engineering. Do I need to find a potential supervisor in advance?

Those who are applying for the Special Graduate Program (UBE-UPN/ENV) are not required to contact a potential supervisor in advance, prior to application. However, you are permitted to contact faculty members in your area of interest directly via email if you wish.

After your application documents are evaluated through the online application system “T-cens,” we will allocate you to a field of study and faculty member most suited to your research interests. Note that your preferred research field and faculty members are taken into account during the selection process.

Where can I find the information about the scholarships for international students from the University of Tokyo?

You can find more information here.

How much are the tuition fees?

You can find more information here.

I don’t have an engineering background in my previous studies. Is there any chance that I can study at the Department of Urban Engineering?

The study area must be within a field accepted by at least one of the faculty members of the Department of Urban Engineering. Hence, you may directly contact faculty members and find a prospective supervisor in the field of your interest.

Is it compulsory to submit GRE General test scores?

Since the GRE will help us assess your academic abilities, it is recommended, but not mandatory.

I would like to know when I can apply for the Graduate Program for International Students in Urban and Environmental Studies. When does the application period start?

Our admissions page will be updated sometime in July or August for the new admission information of the program. Please make sure to visit our website for the latest updates.

Would this program require the candidate to be proficient in Japanese?

Japanese language proficiency is not a requirement of this program.

I’m not a native English speaker, but I graduated from a university in the United States. Do I need to submit an English Language proficiency score?

You need to submit either a standardized test score or the Certificate of English as the Medium of Instruction from your university.

The Certificate of English as the Medium of Instruction should be attested and signed by the University Registrar and must clearly state that your undergraduate program was conducted in English. Otherwise, you will need to submit a standardized test score.

May I inquire about my application status? I would like to know whether I will need to attend an interview.

The department will not respond to inquiries regarding the selection process. Please wait until you receive a notification of selection results. Those who are selected will be notified during the course of the selection process.

Is there a minimum score of TOEFL or IELTS to be considered for admission?

There is no minimum score requirement.

For enrolled students

How do I apply for the school’s dormitories?

For those who wish to apply to move into the dormitories, go to “OSTA,” the online dormitory application system for the University of Tokyo.

How can I apply for a scholarship?

There are two types of private scholarships: the Private Scholarship Registration System (民間奨学金登録制度), which requires a recommendation from the university, and the Direct Application System (直接応募), which you can apply for directly. Typically, there are two application periods per year for the Private Scholarship Registration System. (In past years, they were in February and August.)

Students who have already registered in the past, but wish to do so again, will need to complete the registration process again with all the required documents. For more information, please check the OIS website.

Also, please check the department office bulletin board and mailing list for scholarship information.

What procedures do I need to follow to apply for a Visa extension?

You can renew the period of stay for your Visa three months prior to its expiration date, but please do so as soon as possible. An official seal of the university is required on the application for extension of period of stay, so please bring the necessary documents to the International Student Support Team (留学生支援チーム) counter on the first floor of Engineering Building 8. It takes about three days for the official seal to be affixed. Once you have received the official seal, please apply to the Immigration Bureau together with the other necessary documents. For a fee, you can also ask the University of Tokyo’s Visa Consulting Service to apply on your behalf. For more information, please check the OIS website.

Where can I issue enrollment certificates, transcripts etc.?

Certificate of Enrollment (在学証明書), transcripts (成績証明書), and Certificate of Expected Completion (master’s program) can be issued at the automatic certificate issuing machine located at the entrance on the first floor of Engineering Building 8. Note, you will need your student ID and password. For other certificates, please ask the Student Support Team

Office (学務課・学生支援チーム) counter on the 1st floor of Engineering Building 8.

How do I apply for a tuition waiver?

There are two application periods a year for tuition waiver applications. Please check this website for details.

Regarding regular medical check-ups

Medical check-ups for students are conducted on a fixed schedule every year. Announcements will be made on the department bulletin board, but you can also check for the information on the following website

Regarding insurance

All international students who stay in Japan for longer than three months are designated as “mid-to-long-term residents (中長期滞在者),” and are required to join the National Health Insurance system (国民健康保険). The procedure for enrolling for the National Health Insurance system is done at the ward (city) office at which you registered as a resident. 

Additionally, all students of the University of Tokyo are covered by the Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Research (学生教育研究災害傷害保険), paid for by the university.

This insurance can cover costs for any injuries sustained during educational and research activities in Japan and abroad during your period of stay. There is also an additional insurance that you can opt for called Comprehensive Insurance for Students Lives Coupled with “Gakkensai” for International Students, which covers liability to others, illness, and injuries sustained during non-school activities. The costs for this insurance must be covered by students themselves, but the school recommends that you apply. For more information, please check the following website.

I would like to go back to my home country temporarily. Is there anything I have to do?

First, please inform your academic advisor. Before going back to your home country temporarily, you will need to submit a “Travel Report (旅行届)” to the department office. For more information, please contact the department office.

I want to take a leave of absence (gap year) from school.

First, consult with your academic advisor. To take a leave of absence, you need to submit specific documents to the department office at least one month before the month you want to start your period of leave of absence. Note, you will not be allowed to engage in any non-school activities, such as part-time work, while on leave.

Regarding the International Student Support Room

The University of Tokyo has an International Student Support Room, an office designated to support international students. The International Student Support Room provides consultation and social gatherings for international students and foreign researchers (also open to their family members). This service is available to anyone who is affiliated with the University of Tokyo. For more details, please check this website.